Annals of Saudi Medicine
Publication of the King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Users Online: 5 Home Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
Home  About us   Issues     Search     Subscribe   Contact    Login 
 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2009  |  Volume : 29  |  Issue : 6  |  Page : 433-436

Infective endocarditis at a hospital in Saudi Arabia: epidemiology, bacterial pathogens and outcome


1 Internal Medicine Services Division, Saudi Aramco Medical Services Organization, Dhahran Health Center, Saudi Arabia
2 Cardiology Services Division, Saudi Aramco Medical Services Organization, Dhahran Health Center, Saudi Arabia

Correspondence Address:
Jaffar A Al-Tawfiq
Room A-428-2B, Building 61, Dhahran Health Center, Saudi Aramco, PO Box 76, Dhahran 31311
Saudi Arabia
Login to access the Email id
DOI: 10.4103/0256-4947.57164


Get Permissions

Background and Objective : Data on infective endocarditis prevalence, epidemiology and etiology from Saudi Arabia and the Gulf region are sparse. We undertook this study to describe the pattern and the causative agents of endocarditis at a hospital in Saudi Arabia. Methods : We conducted a retrospective analysis of all reported endocarditis cases at the Dhahran Health Center from January 1995 to December 2008. Results : Of the 83 cases of endocarditis, 54 (65%) were definite endocarditis and the remaining 29 (35%) were possible endocarditis based on the Duke criteria. Patients with definite endocarditis included 39 males and 15 females (ratio of 2.6:1) with a mean age (SD) of 59.7 (18.2) years. Of the definite endocarditis cases, native valve endocarditis occurred in 44 (81.5%) cases of and prosthetic valve endocarditis was observed in 10 (18.5%). The most commonly involved valves were mitral (n=24; 44.4%) and aortic (n=20; 39.2%). The most common organisms were S aureus (n=23; 42.6%), Enterococcus faecalis (n=12; 22.2%) and viridans streptococci (n=9; 16.7%). Surgical intervention was required in 17 (31.4%) cases and the in-hospital mortality rate was 29.4% (n=15). Of all the patients, 3 (5.5%) had embolic stroke as a complication. Conclusion : Native valve endocarditis is the predominant type of endocarditis. The patients were older adults and the most common organisms were S aureus, E faecalis and viridans streptococci.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next Article
 Previous Article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search Google Scholar for
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed242    
    Printed4    
    Emailed2    
    PDF Downloaded144    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal